I have mentally been writing a lot of lists in my head lately...oh who am I kidding, I am always doing that. But specifically at this time of year. Lists on projects that MUST be done around the house. Lists on projects that I WANT to do around the house. Best moments, happiest moments, best books, best food, top tens for each kid, etc. But first, music.
Top Music of 2013 (In no particular order)
1. I Will Wait by Mumford and Sons. This was in my top ten last year too I believe, but seeing Mumford actually perform it was amazing.
2. Ho Hey by Lumineers. I love the Lumineers so much but this one is definitely my favorite.
3. Below My Feet by Mumford and Sons. As I was coming back into Akron, after that horrid 11-12 mile of the 1/2 Marathon, this song came on. The crowd cheering on strangers, my sister Katherine next to me, texts of encouragement in my dying phone, this song came on. I cried. Heck, I'm a little teary thinking about that moment. It was quite possibly the most powerful moment of memories and pain and accomplishment mixed all together at a single second.
4. Remember the name by Fort Minor. This is my power song. This played right after Below My Feet as I was coming into the stadium.
This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
It was the perfect time for this song to play. Like my phone just knew. Note though I was trying to tell someone about this being one of my favorite songs and I COULDN'T REMEMBER THE NAME. Until I said the words I can't believe I don't remember the name of the song...REMEMBER THE NAME. Yup. That's me.
5. Let it Go Idina Menzel. Oh how I loved this movie, this song, Idina, the entire soundtrack, and watching Lillian sit and sing for hours to it. If you haven't seen it, really-go. NOW. I want to see it again. Really probably the best Disney movie since maybe Little Mermaid. Cannot WAIT for the Oscars for Idina to sing it live.
6. Home by Phillip Phillips. Still can't quite believe this is an American Idol contestant (neither could any of the 91.3 djs for that matter) but goodness I love this song still.
7. Awake My Soul by Mumford and Sons Again, just love this song and to see it live...just amazing.
8. Ways to Go by Grouplove. This song just makes me happy. The whole album does.
9. Half Crazy Jukebox the Ghost. Again, whole album is so good, but a song called Half Crazy? Yeah has to be a favorite
10. Thrift Shop by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. Yes. I admit it. I love this song. 2013 Christmas wRap was based on it. It is ridiculously fun and catchy and I have to say I am so happy that they are not one hit wonders, but actually good and will be around for a while.
So there you have it. There are thousands more songs that could easily be added on to this list, and as I go through the day songs will pop into my head and I will think OH NO! That totally should have gone on the list! So perhaps I have to create another list...and another and another :)
This post is part of a list-making project called Lists With Friends 2014, an effort to document the year in lists of all types.